.

.
Book Cover

Saturday, October 16, 2010

An Eyewitness To The Fire Scene Writes

Dear Mr Goodwin:

I just wanted to let you know how interesting I found your book.

I was 12 years old and living in Cartersville, Georgia when the Winecoff burned. My father had just died and on that fateful day, his brother and wife came to take my mother and me Christmas shopping in Atlanta.

About half way there my mother opened the newspaper she had brought along and read about the fire. The adults debated about continuing but decided to do so. Our first stop was always Davison-Paxon's. We saw the Winecoff only hours after the fire had been extinguished.

I am 76 now but that sight has never left my mind. Over the years I have come in contact with people who had some connection to the fire. In my own church there is a lady who survived the fire and a man who was supposed to go to the Youth Assembly but could not due to illness. The boy who replaced him perished in the fire. I have not discussed the fire with them out of respect for their privacy.

Thanks so much.

Carol Lowery

Dear Carol,
Thanks for sharing your story.
Allen

No comments: